Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Time to talk

For those of you who aren't familiar with Digicel, let me explain :-) Practically everyone in our town has a cell phone and you can use any old phone and just buy phone cards as you need them. Lots of places sell the phone cards. As it happens, I needed to call Mike but had no phone card, so I went up the street to "quick" buy a phone card. The first place I go to has no cards, so I head up the road to check another place. I see a lady with a Digicel apron, so I ask her, but sorry to say she's out too. I check another place and still no phone card, but the lady tells me where I can find one, so I head in the direction she tells me. A girl walks along with me and shows me the store. I thank her and go inside. Yep, she's right, the only problem is that I didn't bring enough for a 100 gourd card, I only have enough money for a 50 gourd card!!! So, I turn around and head back in the opposite direction. I pass some of the same ladies I had talked to earlier and as I passed there were 2 or 3 ladies that called out to inquire if I got my phone card. I told them what happened and that I would check somewhere else. Happy to say, I did find a phone card and made it back to call Mike. It just struck me again that the Haitians are interested in people's lives. It doesn't cost anything to be a friend and to be interested in the lives of others, even if it is just buying an ole' phone card :-)

3 comments:

  1. Jo.. I was so blessed by your willingness to make "a normal Haiti activity" a challenge to greater things in life. Surely our friendship to with others is priceless. God Bless..
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go!
    Keep posting this kind of stuff, just because i am not there doesn't mean I am not interested in the work in Haiti!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes,so true! Haitians always have time to visit and ask what you are up to=)! Building relationships,so important!
    see you soon!
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete