Sunday, December 1, 2013

Dis Kòmandman Yo

French version of the Ten Commandments we seen in a park in Saint Marc, Haiti

God is like any other parent. He wants to do good things for his children. Like earthly parents, His love towards his children isn’t earned. We can’t work hard and get God to love us, He just loves us anyway. We can try our best, but we will still fail, and He loves us anyway.
In His love for us, God set down some rules that we need to follow. What good parent doesn’t give their children rules to follow. Those rules that God gave his children are called the Ten Commandments. When we live inside these rules, we will be truly blessed, when we live outside of these rules, we will suffer consequences.
These rules are paraphrased from Exodus 20:
1. You shall have no other gods before Me.
2. You shall not make for yourself a carved image…
3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.
4. Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
5. Honor your father and your mother…
6. You shall not murder.
7. You shall not commit adultery.
8. You shall not steal.
9. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
10. You shall not covet…
Wow, what a lot of rules. Really, they are not that hard to follow. When Jesus came to this earth, he summed it up in two simple commands, Love the Lord your God with all your heart and to love your neighbor as yourself. And with his illustration of the Good Samaritan, our neighbor is anyone we meet.
My challenge to myself is how I am responding to the unearned love that God is giving to me. Am I still living for myself or am I being obedient to His commands and reflecting the love that God has towards me to every person that I come in contact with.   

No comments:

Post a Comment